Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Warming Up With A Mug of Vegan Hot "Chocolate"


Mmmmm..hot chocolate, a steaming mug of this rich, sweet and comforting drink is sure to warm the body and soul of anyone on a chilly winter's day. Unless of course you are allergic to chocolate, or like me you can't tolerate chocolate due to the caffeine. Or perhaps you choose to abstain from caffeine, which unfortunately chocolate is full of. So, what's a good substitute for chocolate? The answer is carob. 

Due to a congenital heart defect, I have never been able to eat chocolate without feeling jittery and on fire with an elevated heart rate and an inability to sleep at night. Therefore, I decided to finally try carob because it is completely caffeine free!

Carob powder is made from the ground and roasted pods of the carob tree. The carob tree is a Mediterranean evergreen and I have read that it has been around for about 4000 years now. 

After walking my family's dogs this afternoon in a chilly wind and a slight spitting of snow, I decided it would be a good day to make a cup of vegan hot "chocolate" using carob powder. 

Here are my ingredients: 

  • 1 1/2 cups of Silk original soymilk
  • 1 tbsp carob powder
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Directions: 

1. Combine all 4 ingredients in a small sauce pan. Mix well, removing all lumps. Heat the liquid slowly until it comes to a rolling boil. 

2. Pour into a happy mug, sip, sit back, relax and enjoy. 
















I was really impressed with the carob powder and recommend this to anyone looking for a chocolate substitute! My hot "chocolate" had a rich flavor and smooth texture and it reenergized my body and soul after some brisk walking. I hope you all can give carob a chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment