Monday, June 10, 2013

First Ventures into the Seattle Foodie Heaven

I have been living in Seattle for exactly 17 days now and it is INCREDIBLE. I never thought I would enjoy living in a big city. The thought of all the traffic and noise and towering buildings always seemed like too much to handle for the little country bumpkin I always thought I was.

 But Seattle is special.

 The salty yet clean and clear air rolling off the waves in Puget Sound is a welcome change to the stagnant air that sometimes fills the sky in  Missoula. The Cascade Mountains still topped with snow are just close enough to see that I still get my mountain fix. However, I am feeling the urge to put on my Keens and explore a hiking trail soon.  But the cool, moist climate that grows such amazing flowers, plants, and trees is an inspiration to garden. So  I planted my first patch of flowers and pots this week. I hand picked petunias and snapdragons for the flower bed. Then I planted begonias and lemon zest petunias in baskets. Finally, I purchased some clearance pots at Target for my English lavender and Snowstorm. The snowstorm is trailing over the pots and looks oh so magical, so much so that the white flowers almost glow in the sunlight. I edged the flower bed in small solar lights and I have to stop myself from peeking out the front door every few minutes to see the them aglow in under the night sky.






 I don't live in the actual city center, downtown portion of Seattle, but my neighborhood is still filled with so many unique cultures and people.  The few bus rides I have taken are reminiscent of a roller coaster ride, but it sure beats driving!

But one of the best parts about living in Seattle so far? I get to EAT AT RESTAURANTS. I get to  BUY COOKIES AND PASTRIES AND THICK HEARTY BREADS IN ABUNDANCE. I no longer feel like such an outsider in the world of gluten and dairy free. For so many eateries and cafes offer gluten free menus and are very accommodating of the allergen free dieting world.

My favorite places so far include:

West Seattle Great Harvest Bread Company: 

http://greatharvestwestseattle.com/glutenfree

Delicious and savory breads, pastries and cookies. Their Buckwheat Dakota bread is filled with seeds and honey and applesauce and makes amazing toast. The bread doesn't fall apart and it fills you up too. I treated myself to one of their ginger cookies and it was probably the best cookie I have ever tasted. REALLY. It was soft and chewy and slight hint of ginger mixed the molasses was awesome. They also sell a French Bread. It is pretty dense though so if you are looking for a baguette type bread, this isn't it. But if you slice their French Bread and spread some olive oil and garlic salt on it and broil it in the oven, you get some really good garlic bread!

Bang Bar Thai Restaurant and Lounge: 


http://bangbarthai.com/

Amazing sweet and sour with vegetables, prawns and Jasmine rice. They don't have gluten free items marked on the menu, but pretty much anything can be prepared gluten free the staff is very knowledgeable about the gluten free diet.  And with Thai food, dairy is never used, so it is usually a safe way to go!

PCC Natural Markets:

http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/




This place is a lot more expensive than the organic, specialty food stores I was shopping at in Montana. So that is a downside. However, their bakery sells some really great items including cupcakes, breads and other treats. Not all are dairy free though, so you must read labels carefully! Their grocery section has a good selection of cereals, breads, frozen treats and other snacks as well.

I am so excited to keep exploring the food world of Seattle and to keep cooking as well! I have been inspired to try new recipes or try to recreate my favorite dishes from restaurants. I have been making a lot of stir fry with a homemade sweet and sour sauce and it is turing into a staple of mine now.

I am so grateful for this opportunity to live, shop and dine in Seattle. Adam and I are going to have quite an adventure here and I couldn't be happier in my new house and new home in a city that accepts and helps those with a dietary restrictions. It's still doesn't seem quite real that I am living in Seattle, for I truly never saw myself leaving Montana. But with those Washington license plates on my car and new job starting next week (Assistant Preschool Teacher) I am so thrilled with this change in my life that has already opened my eyes to a new world and way of life.



No comments:

Post a Comment