I have to admit I don't have any fancy recipe to share this very early morning as I have been so busy writing articles for my content writing job and applying for teaching jobs that I have failed to capture my meals prepared at home and eaten out.
Meals eaten at a restaurant you say??? Yes, tis true!! Missoula is finally waking up to the realization that people in this town have food allergies. About time Zootown...where have you been all these years?
Unfortunately I don't have too many pictures to post right now, but I can tell you all the places I have been to recently. Even something as simple as a gluten free, vegan cinnamon coffee cake has been enough make me rejoice and celebrate the pleasure of treating myself without writhing in pain for hours on end.
So, without further ado, a list of my new favorite eating locales in Missoula:
Liquid Planet- not only do they have the best service in town with baristas that now know me by name (yes, just like Cheers..where everybody knows your name!), they sell the cinnamon coffee cake I mentioned above. Baked fresh at the Black Cat Bakery, ( don't spend too much time on their website as you may find yourself wiping the drool off your chin and keyboard). Their moist muffin like cinnamon coffee cakes, baked with applesauce, are delightful with an Americano and a window seat where I can gaze out at the clouds or all the locals and tourists strolling along the sidewalk.
The Bridge Pizza-you all know by now how much I enjoy creating my own pizzas at home, but The Bridge has an incredible gluten free crust that is the perfect consistency and flavor. Topped off with fresh tomato sauce, basic, pineapples, bell peppers, and goat cheese, this is one pizza that must might rival my own creation.
Jakers-while I have ordered the same thing each time I have gone here, their gluten free menu includes more than just salads and their shrimp scampi with rice is simple but very satisfying.
The Depot-this was a favorite dining spot for my dad, sister, and I during high school. We always enjoyed eating out on their patio during the summer, munching away on deep fried veggies dipped in ranch. Yes, I know, how healthy... However, I am happy to say that they now have gluten free buns available so I can finally again enjoy my favorite grilled chicken sandwich with sprouts, tomato slices, and red onion.
Tandem Doughnuts-yes, it's true, this girl still enjoys a good doughnut everyone now and then. With a tent at the Clark Fork River Market every Saturday morning from May-October, this sweet spot is the perfect place to purchase my lemon glazed or cinnamon-sugar doughnuts and even loaves of moist, soft, chewy bread that is perfect for breakfast toast.
Kind Bars and Granola-ok, so this isn't a restaurant in Missoula but this company's granolas and fruit/nut bars are delicious, and healthy. The granola makes for a perfect breakfast when mixed with fresh fruit and goat yogurt or rice milk, while the fruit/nut bars are the best afternoon pick me up ever. The Coconut-Almond ones are seriously like eating a candy bar due to the sweetness of the giant coconut flakes. And I am not lying when I say I have a stash of granola and bars in my makeshift pantry. Seriously, it is that GOOD.
While I still miss my Pedro's Pasta from Montana Ale Works and the goodness of the Co-Op in the Bozone, I am thankful that Missoula is recognizing that there are people who cannot eat whatever they would like and that without gluten free menus and dietary options, eating out can be a nightmare and let's just say tenuous experience.
Well, now that it's 3:25 in the morning, perhaps I can now get some sleep before another day of writing articles (this time about houseboats) gets underway. Although, I find it unlikely as my mind is swimming with what the future holds for me....a teaching job? School in Bozeman to earn my Reading Endorsement? Not to mention my excitement about.visiting my sister, friends, and a concert at the Gorge... all happening this summer!
For now all I can do is live one day at a time, enjoy this sensational summer sun, my daily walks by the raging river, and find delight in the dawn of each new day.
No comments:
Post a Comment