Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Shrimp Saute

Some precooked frozen shrimp, a red bell pepper, a yellow onion and some dried basil leaves. Saute all that in a pan with some olive oil and voila, you have a marvelous, healthy and very tasty dinner!

I have to say I am not feeling super inspired to write this morning. So I apologize for this bland, ho-hum excuse of a writing post. But at least you will have some pretty pictures to look at, right?

Here is what I cooked up with my experimentation last night:


  • 10 to 12 precooked, frozen shrimp
  • 1 red bell pepper 
  • 1 yellow onion
  • some dried basil leaves
  • 1 small sweet potato
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas 

And the methods of my experiment went as so: 

1. Place the shrimp in a bowl with some water. Once they have thawed, remove the tails and place back in the bowl. 

2. Slice the pepper and onion into rings, then slice the rings in half.  * I used the entire bell pepper and half the onion* 

3. Place the onion, pepper, and shrimp in a pan with some olive oil. Sprinkle the basil leaves on top and saute on low to medium heat. 







4. While the vegetables and shrimp are cooking, poke some holes in the sweet potato. I baked mine in the microwave for about 5 minutes. Let it sit on your plate a minute before you peel the skin away. 

5. Place the peas in a small, microwave safe dish, add some water and cook for 2.5 to 3 minutes. 

6. By this time the shrimp and vegetables should be done. The onions should be clarified and the pepper should be soft. 




I honestly didn't know quite how this dish was going to turn out, but it was really tasty! The basil and olive oil were a great flavor combination with the shrimp and the sauteing of the onion and pepper brought out their sweet and succulent flavors. As with anything in life, you don't know unless you try and are willing to give something a chance. You can't let your fear of cooking a bad meal or your fear of starting over let you stop yourself from experiencing life. For life is all about the journey and letting your fears be surpassed by the "I wonder" or "I wish" or even "I want!" that swim inside your soul. At some point you have to let go and just live. 

No comments:

Post a Comment