Upon filling my bag with sweet carrots, juicy tomatoes, crisp, cool cucumbers, and the season's freshest fruits, I was overcome with an unexpected pang of homesickness and longing to return home. I know this was instigated by the sweet old man who sold me my cherries, who after weighing them and delicately taking the $4 from my hand, looked right at me and said, "You have nice eyes miss. I hope you don't mind a personal comment like that." I just looked back at him, "Well thank you!" He reminded me so much of my own grandfather who passed away just 3 years ago from Alzheimer's. The cherry man had a very kind and gentle demeanor, just like my grandfather, whose own eyes reflected the trials of the devastating disease that is Alzheimer's. I couldn't help but think that my own dear grandpa was looking after me and paying me a visit in Seattle. I thought about grandpa a lot since moving here, and I haven't really figured out why. Perhaps its because as I have grown up, my family has spread their roots beyond Missoula and our time together has because less frequent. Going to the markets in Missoula was usually a weekly ritual for my dad, and sister and I throughout the summer and fall. So going to the market in Seattle has been my way of holding onto that tradition.
Stopping at Great Harvest after the market is becoming a ritual of sorts for me as well, and that also has ties to a Missoula tradition with my dad. Before we discovered my gluten and dairy intolerances, we would pop into the Great Harvest for a free slice of bread and a cold carton of milk....which only spelled disaster for me. Especially since I would spread warm butter and honey on my piece, followed by a long drink of milk. What a horrible idea.........
Never-the-less, I returned from the market with a shopping bag filled to the brim with local produce free of chemicals and pesticides, but full of sunshine and love.
| Beautiful potted Zinnia plant from another local market stand. This only cost $10! |
The Farmer's Market in Seattle sounds amazing, I love farmer's markets! What a great thing to do on a summer day. Thank you for sharing your beautiful experiences:)
ReplyDeleteLOVE!!!!! Thanks for sharing Jen! Will be there soon to experience it with you! XOXOX
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to show you around Mommy!!!
ReplyDelete