About 6 months have passed since my return to Missoula. In all honesty it has been a very challenging time, full of sadness, regret, anger and uncertainty. It was not what I planned for and not what I thought I needed. But, God seems to have other plans for me and it is true, that when one door is closed another is opened. You just have to be willing to see the door and have the courage to walk through it.
One of the best parts about returning home has been the treatment I have been receiving from a naturopath. My list of 20-some mystery ailments and symptoms has dwindled to just a few, and even those have a very low rate of occurrence. I don't think I can ever thank her enough for the care, support, and understanding she has shown me.
Because of my naturopath's knowledge and ability to properly treat me, I am now able to enjoy a meal without the gut wrenching side effects that plagued me for so many years. I still cannot have gluten or dairy, but I am okay with that! The alternatives have continued to grow and are much more satisfying and healthy as well.
Here are some pictures and links to the new foods I have discovered these past 6 months:
- Namaste Spice Cake Mix and Pamela's Vanilla Frosting Mix (my mom made me this birthday cake and it was delicious. Moist, flavorful, decadent, but not too sweet. )
They have a large selection of baking mixes as well as gluten free pastas accompanied by packets of sauce mixes.
I have also been enjoying:
- Bob's Red Mill mixes, especially the Pizza Crust and Cornbread
- DeLallo Pastas-these are from Italy and have excellent texture, consistency and flavor. The corn and brown rice blend is fabulous. You can visit their site here: DeLallo
- Good Karma Flax Milk- it is similar to soy milk but has lighter flavor, the Vanilla milk is great for cereal. You can visit their site here: Good Karma Food
- Franz Gluten Free Breads- the 7 grain and Cinnamon Raisin are wonderful-it has a chewy texture and bold flavor that so many gluten free breads are lacking. Visit their site here: Franz Gluten Free
- I also discovered some amazing salad dressings for the abundance of salads I have been eating! I can finally enjoy purple and green cabbage, cucumber, tomatoes, bell peppers and even nuts and seeds without writhing with with stomach pains for hours on end. Here are some of my favorite dressings:
Annie's Balsamic Vinaigrette
Annie's Tuscany Italian
Annie's Thousand Island
OrganicVille Non-dairy Ranch
- Finally, I have discovered one of the best ways to end a meal is with a steaming mug of Celestial Seasoning tea. Some of my favorites include Lemon Zinger, Black Cherry Berry, Apple Spice Cinnamon, and Sugar Plum Spice. Unfortunately, the plum tea is only available in stores during the holiday season, but you can purchase it from their website year round.
As my body continues to heal from the damages and wounds of the years gone by, I am confident that the variety of foods I can eat and enjoy will continue to expand. I am also confident that this difficult time is only temporary, and that even when I cannot see the light or feel the warmth of its glow, it is still there, guiding me onward toward joy, and restoration.
During trouble times, I am reminded of a short passage from J.R.R. Tolkien's The Fellowship of the Ring. Gandalf and Frodo are discussing the sorrow and pain they have experienced, Frodo wishing none of it had happened during his time. Upon hearing this Gandalf responds:
" ...so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
And it is so true. As difficult as it may be to put the past behind us, look forward to a brighter future and mend our shattered hearts and fractured souls, this time on Earth is all that we have. So we must decide upon each day of waking to the rising sun, how will we live out this day? Will we let the shadows of the past continue to cloud our vision, dragging us farther back into the darkness? Or, will we open ourselves up to goodness and love, taking comfort in even the smallest pieces of joy that fill our days?
Psalm 147: 3 "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds."
None of us are alone in this world, and even when the day seems too much to bear, it is nothing that we cannot overcome and we will be better for it.
I couldn't agree more. Sound advice that many people could use. As my Father was fond of saying, " no matter how bad your troubles seem, there is always someone with worse troubles than you."
ReplyDelete