Sunday, December 18, 2011

So after months and months of searching the internet for recipes, restaurants and grocery stores that match my gluten and diary free diet, I have finally decided to embark upon my first journey into the world of blogging. I hope this will become a place to share ideas and experiences, and maybe encourage Missoula to become a bit more friendly to all us with food intolerances and, or allergies.

The past 5 years of my life have been challenging, what with trying to determine why I was so sick all the time. And then after learning what I was intolerant to, I had to wander down the aisles of The Good Food Store and Huckleberry's grabbing everything off the shelf deemed safe for me to eat.

My diet has expanded since those first hair raising days of "What do I eat now?!" I have discovered that I can tolerate yogurt, frozen yogurt, some cheese and even sprouted grain breads. But never again will  I dip into a pint of mint chocolate chip ice cream, or slather a freshly baked baguette with creamy, silky butter or devour a plate of pasta with that oh so delicious alfredo sauce bursting with milk and cheese.  Julia Child would be so ashamed of me!

What I do know is that even though this diet is challenging, I am healthier than ever and it even changed my out look on food and farming in general. I am now a frequent customer at the Good Food Store and the Farmer's Markets and I dream of one day digging my hands into the dirt of my own garden, releasing sweet, crunchy carrots from their mother and uprooting the red and golden spuds from their burrow.

So welcome, one and all, to the adventures of a Fairy Foodie in Missoula, MT.

No comments:

Post a Comment